Thursday, February 4, 2010

Building Game in Silverlight (Progress report)

This is primarily for me, as a record.

I finally offloads all calculation to threads, now the game will take advantage of multiple CPUs, depend on how many stars the map will have, all your CPUs will be loaded.

This has to be done, because unlike CIV (where I based my game on), the battles can happen simultaneously on multiple planets, and if I do it on one UI thread, the game won't be playable. This is the down side of RTS game (CIV is turn based), it is going in real time and can hit CPU hard. Even if you have the latest greatest 6 core CPU, with say 1000 stars your system might not be able to handle it.

Anyway, now 2 of my 3 main goals for this game is done:
1. Game is Browser based (sandbox), no need for virus checks etc.
2. Game is multi-threaded, should be able to used as a CPU bench mark.

The last and the most important one, Game should be fun and addictive, is still far from reach.

No comments: